Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Vanilla for Everyone

Apparently everyone is supposed to master a vanilla ice cream recipe....and if everyone is supposed to do it. Well, I might as well. The ice cream was incredibly easy to make. I opted for the custard version--craving something creamy and hesitant that not using eggs would make it icy. Eaten straight from the ice cream maker, the ice cream was light and flavorful. I ate more the next day and after a night in the freezer the mixture was much denser and I think I liked it even better.



The pie I made from peaches from the Green market, but apparently three pounds of fruit wasn't enough (granted, one turned out to be rotten inside and had to be thrown out and the fruit was quite finicky). I was hoping that the corner store would have frozen peaches to fill out the filling, but to no avail--so frozen blueberries did the trick. Delicious. The crust was flaky and buttery (thank you Joy of Cooking) and the fruit was still slightly tart. I was quite proud of myself.

In honor of Suzanne--I am making mint ice cream this evening. I'll let you know how it turns out.

2 comments:

zan said...

This sounds amazing. I can't wait to hear how the mint turns out...

Anonymous said...

It does indeed look appetizing. What about pistachio?